"I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it." -Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Berlin Week 3

     We started off the week by going to an old Jewish Synagogue that was destroyed in the Kristallnacht of 1938. It was only partially rebuilt so people would remember what had happened to it and the people that had worshiped there. We also went on a tour around Berlin and saw many places around Berlin that were historically significant to the Jewish community. We went to a Jewish cemetery and got to see the grave of Moses Mendelssohn--the grandfather of Felix Mendelssohn! We also visited Rosenstrasse, the site of a small protest against Jewish imprisonment.
 
   We also went to the Olympic Stadium which was way cool because it looked like a smoky volcano because of the clouds and the night lighting. The Käthe Kollwitz museum was also interesting. Her works show ideas and feelings rather than being realistic. We then went to the Neues Nationalgalerie. It is a museum for modern art so it wasn't my favorite thing ever, but we went to get "Kaffee und Kuchen"--(really we got hot chocolate and cake) so it made the day better.
     It was a very rainy week and I got sick of my umbrella turning inside out because of the wind so I left it home most days and just wore my coat. Our German class had a mini Sommerfest on one of the days when it was pouring rain. A lot of people were complaining that we had to stand in the rain, but I didn't mind so much because they were handing out free potato soup and giant pretzels!
     After being out of my home country for the first time ever I broke down and went to a 1960s American style diner with some friends. It was a ton of fun. That same day I broke down and bought a jar of peanut butter. It only comes in one size...small. It was weird having the only choice be a jar the size of my fist, because at home entire sections of an aisle are devoted to peanut butter. It was the first time I had had peanut better since I left the United States almost a month earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment