"I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it." -Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Beginning

Me at Westminster Abbey
     At the moment i'm on study abroad and having a great time. I've been to England and Germany so far and it has been quite the adventure leaving my home country for the first time. I got to see a bunch of cool things while I was in London (and the surrounding area) like the Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the British Museum, the British Library, Baker Street, St. Paul's Cathedral (the walk to the top is so worth it...even if you do have to walk up 530 or so steps to get to the top), the Transportation Museum (it is set up more for kids, but that made it very exciting after going to so many "adult" museums), the National Gallery (I really liked the paintings by Camille Pissarro and John Constable), Kensington Palace (It is now "the enchanted palace" where you can learn about its history and the history of the people who lived there.... it was a bit strange, but okay), Shakespeare's Globe Theater (I stood in the Yard and watched "all's well that ends well". Standing was great because I was leaning on the stage the whole time so I felt like I was right in the middle of the action.) and a bunch of other tourist things.
Me at King's Cross Station
     By far my favorite place to eat in London was "Slug and Lettuce". It is a strange name, but a nice place and had a cool atmosphere. It was fairly cheap because they have lots of different deals depending on what days you go. How can you say no to 2 for 1 curry??!?! Nandos was also very good if you like chicken.
     My group stayed in London for six days (including the day we got there and the day we left). My roommate (Amelia) and I were so tired our first day that we fell asleep in a park, because we couldn't move in to the room at the Hostel for a few more hours and we couldn't stay awake enough to go anywhere. Our "Tube" stop was King's Cross station. I felt so legit! (I felt even more so after seeing the final Harry Potter movie when they showed the view of King's Cross station and I knew what it was, because I had lived right across from it for a week!) We were so lucky because it only rained once during the week we were there.

     A few things I've learned so far about traveling in Europe:
1. Water is not free at restaurants. (bring a water bottle with you always)
2. Bathrooms are not free. (always have at least 50 cents on you)
3. Most small shops don't take credit card so make sure you have cash with you.
4. Bring a book to read or music to listen to on the Tube, or you will waste a lot of time just waiting as you go from place to place.
5. Get the audio guides at the museum even if they cost extra. (They explain the meaning and/or the background of a painting or other object that may not be written on the signs next to said object.)
6. Pack as light as possible. If you can't carry your luggage by yourself then you should seriously consider repacking and getting rid of nonessentials.

1 comment:

  1. Camille-
    If you have lots of time to wait around, learn to knit! There are some really neat yarns made in Germany. Do you need me to come over and give you a few lessons?

    SisterK

    ReplyDelete