"I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it." -Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Berlin Week 2

     During my second week in Berlin I got to see cool things like the Brandenburger Tor, the Französischer Dom---we got to climb up to the top and look out across the city, the Berliner Dom, Sanssouci (which is really in Potsdam--a city near Berlin), the Altes Museum, Altes Nationalgalerie, the Berlin Zoo, the Ritter Sport store, etc...

Amlia and I at the Brandenburger Tor!

Me in front of the Altes Nationalgalerie in Berlin.

Sanssouci
     This was a hard week because a bit of confusion occured with my bank so I was unable to get cash from the ATMs. It was frustrating knowing that I had money, but it was useless because I couldn't get to it. Thank goodness for friends that loan you money when you are between a rock and a hard place. Thankfully I was able to relive my stress several times during the week by playing on the steinway piano at the Tiergarten church building. I was so glad I brought sheet music for a few of my favorite songs. The week wasn't all bad. The Altes Nationalgalerie had some amazing pictures by Casper David Friedrich including "Deep in the Forest by Moonlight", "Greifswald Harbour", and "Ruins of Ellena Monastery near Greifswald".
     Most of our BYU group went to see the final Harry Potter in theaters on July 13th. It was amazing! I wore the hufflepuff scarf Caralynn gave me for Christmas to the theater. It was a very emotional and I may or may not have cried during the movie when Fred and Snape died. I felt justified because the girl sitting next to me was also crying. It was a great experience.

     That weekend we went as a group to Dresden. We took the train and got our own compartments! It was my first real train ride so I felt like I was in a Harry Potter movie! We were all really excited. On the way we played Mafia. Sterling was the narrator because he is the best at making up interesting stories to go with the game.
Sterling, Amelia, Me, Tiffany, and Maggie on our way to Dresden!
     In Dresden we got to see some great buildings while still having time to take a break and play frisbee.
Maggie, Me, Becca, Amelia, and Grooms at the Frauenkirche in Dresden.

Becca, Me, Cassie, Claire, and Maggie at the Zwinger in Dresden.

No comments:

Post a Comment