"I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it." -Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Monday, October 3, 2011

The "Short Trip"

            Our short trip was a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. The beginning was depressing with our excursion to Mauthausen concentration camp in Austria. While many of the other people I was with broke down in tears at some point, I tried to block it out and therefore didn’t cry. I am glad I didn’t visit the concentration camp in Sachsenhausen while I had the chance. I don’t think I would have done well going to two camps. I will not show many pictures or explain what it was like to go there at this time.  If anyone really want to know what it was like they can ask me about it later.
Gate to Mauthausen



            I’m glad we had a few hours between seeing the camp and our next stop so we could pull ourselves together a bit. I enjoyed going to Mondsee to see the Cathedral where Maria (in the Sound of Music) gets married. I still wasn’t completely recovered from the prior experience from that morning, but the sun and the church helped me to feel more hopeful about the world.



Elysse and I by a cute gate in Mondsee
            I bought my first European scarf while we were in Salzburg! I had debated with myself for several weeks as to whether or not I really wanted one. Some of the other girls bought dirndls. They look so nice in them, but I couldn’t find one I liked enough to buy. I loved climbing up to Hohensalzburg (a really old castle) and reading the Fraktur from the 1500s on the walls. It made the castle so much more interesting and real!

Me wearing my new scarf!! Hohensalzburg is the castle up on the hill in the back.
Me at the castle...
Me in front of the house used as the von Trapp family home in "the Sound of Music"!!
We are at Chiemsee about to take a boat to see Herrenchiemsee!!
Woods near Herrenchiemsee.. we had to walk about 15 minutes from the dock to the palace.
       We got a tour of Herrenchiemsee by our professor because he worked there when he was younger. We were so surprized when he told us!

       I liked being able to see new things when we went to Munich. I had already visited the city once, but it was only for a short time so I didn’t get to see much of it. I liked learning about the Hitlerputsch and being able to climb the church tower, even if it was a bit scary.

Frauenkirche
Me on top of St. Peter's Church with the 'Rathaus' to the left.
            Visiting the Eagle’s Nest was an amazing experience, because I had no idea what to expect. As we drove up the mountain I felt as though I had never seen anything so beautiful. It was the most perfect weather. It was sunny and warm and we were able to see for miles in every direction. It was cool to see Salzburg from the top of the mountain after we visited it. I don’t think any other mountains will ever be able to match the grandeur of the Alps we saw.





I took this picture while we were driving around Austria. I thought it was cool.
Nature vs. Man

No comments:

Post a Comment