"I found my smattering of German very useful here; indeed, I don't know how I should be able to get on without it." -Bram Stoker, Dracula.

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Normal life in Vienna

            Becca and I have been doing more research in church offices around Vienna. One day we decided that we didn’t want to do our homework in our apartment so we went in search of a more exciting place. We ended up in a library in the Rathaus (city hall)! We now have a library card so we can use the library in the Rathaus anytime we want!

            I have now seen the inside of the opera house! I went to “La Traviata” and “Die Zauberflöte”. I liked “Die Zauberflöte” better because I knew the story and was more familiar with the songs, but “La Traviata” was also good. I had standing tickets for both of them so the tickets were only 3 Euros. To get standing room you have to go early and wait in line then they let you in so you can claim a spot by tying a scarf to the spot of your choice on a railing. Now we joke that people wear scarves so they can mark their spot at the opera.

            We visited an old flak (FLiegerAbwehrKanone)tower in Vienna from World War II. The lower part of the building is now used as an aquarium. It was interesting learning about what happened there while looking over the city. I can’t imagine how scary it would be to see planes coming towards your city. I’m so glad I don’t have to worry about that!
on a flak tower in Vienna

No comments:

Post a Comment